Every student has certain rights when they are pursuing their education whether in school, college, or university. There are times when the student’s rights might not be considered and they might face some disciplinary action. The corrective action might be in the form of expulsion, suspension, or dismissal from the institute either due to academic performance or based on the misconduct or violation of school rules by the student. If your child faces any such school disciplinary hearing, it is best to hire a reputed education lawyer to be present at the disciplinary hearing. This is because there might be instances where your child might have been falsely accused of something that they did not commit. In such cases, http://studentdisciplinedefense.com/ can help you.
Steps to take when facing school disciplinary action:-
- Gather evidence: If any disciplinary action is being taken against your child you must take necessary steps to find out if they have really violated school rules or if they are simply a part of discrimination/misconduct by the school or school members. You must gather the necessary evidence to prove that your child was innocent. You must talk to the school authorities about what happened and then also get your child’s side of the story. Try to find out if your child was facing any form of bullying or other issues.
- File a due process complaint: If you disagree with the school that your child deserves disciplinary action then you can file a due process complaint to appeal the decision. You must do this after hiring a good education lawyer.
- If your child has IEP: Individualized Education Program (IEP) is for children with disabilities and special needs. In case your child is facing disciplinary action due to their disability then the IEP team must meet up to prove this. You must speak clearly at this meeting stating your issues.
- Hire an education lawyer: Education law involves complex procedures. You need the help of a lawyer to navigate you through this complex process.
- Think about the future: You never know what will happen, so preparing for your child’s future and taking the time to compare schools and weigh up your options may be in your best interest. This way, you will be prepared for whatever happens.
Claiming your rights is certainly a lengthy and tiresome process and one that can affect your child’s confidence. Probably this is why parents go to lengths and breadths to shortlist a reputed school that doesn’t have any such history. In case you are also concerned about your kid’s future but do not know how to research, just search online with keywords similar to “private high schools near me“. You will end up with numerous results, simply go through the news and reviews sections of the websites that interest you, and finalizing a school will be simple.
Needless to say, education law is a complicated field of law and every state has its own laws in addition to the federal law. The disciplinary actions taken by schools also come under the purview of education law. If you feel your child facing disciplinary action is based on discrimination or misconduct by the school or other students, then you must seek legal action. You must hire an experienced education lawyer to represent your child and save them from such action.